Looking for missing posts?

TV, Music and Media posts have moved to a new site. Go to http://burnthismedia.blogspot.com/ the new entertainment blog.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

New Co-Host on Keep Flopping Aces -- Me!

I’ve been a guest on Lou Krieger’s show Keep Flopping Aces a bunch of times and I know that every time I go on I’ll be wracked with nerves the day before and will have one moment on the show where I forget how to end a sentence. That fear of public speaking is real, even if you can’t see the audience, even if they’re busy playing ten tables while listening to you. Still, I never say no to Lou and not just because he’s my editor at Poker Player Newspaper and can wield the red pen of doom. No, it’s also because I love talking about poker.


So when Lou asked me if I’d like to be a permanent co-host on the show, I think the “Yes!” came out before his sentence was finished. I’ve been infatuated with poker for as long as I can remember. Playing poker is frustrating and exhilarating and tiring and intoxicating. It’s never the same experience twice and even when your flopped set gets you runner-runnered out of a tournament, there’s nothing you want to do but get back in the game.

I started writing about poker three years ago at PokerNews.com, taking the place of Amy Calistri as she was focusing on her job and, later, her book with Mike Matusow. It is interesting that Lou’s last co-host was the same Amy Calistri. Perhaps this means Matusow will be tapping me for the sequel to Check-Raising the Devil – Folding to Bambi. Or am I the only person who worries about his poker playing now that he’s mellow Mike?

My poker writing covered everything except for strategy. I wrote recaps, fluff pieces, interviews, bios, personal interest stories, news and legislation updates. But as someone fairly timid about plunking down large sums of money to play poker, usually sitting with the grandmas and the 2-4 limit games, I didn’t feel I was in any position to give poker advice. About all I was in a position to say was don’t forget to tip the waitress and if you can’t afford to call a limp from the small blind, you probably shouldn’t be playing.

That’s changed. Last year I tried my hand at the Aria $125 buy-in daily tournament. It has an ideal structure for me. You start with a deep stack, and blinds go up slowly and at a steady rate. If you don’t do anything stupid or rash, you can have a decent run. Patience and discipline is rewarded, wild aggression is not as necessary. In other words, it is an ideal set up for a mother of two who lacks the killer ‘shove early and often’ mentality of my much younger, male counterparts.

I won the tournament, an experience I wrote about for Poker Player. For someone with limited tournament experience, my Jerry Yang moment (I was the short stack for much of the time before final table) was a huge achievement. I was as giddy as a Norman Chad watching Patrik Antonius go all in. Then a couple weeks ago, I went back, and over the weekend had one deep run (my opponent’s rivered full house knocking me and my puny ace high flush to the rail), one final table (the aforementioned runner-runner suck out over my set) and a win against the largest field in any of the Aria’s daily tournaments.

So now, of course, I’m a poker expert.

Please come and join me and Lou every Thursday night at 9:00 pm Eastern at Rounder’s Radio. We will talk about everything and anything poker with different guests each week. Come into the chat room or call or DM us your questions at our new Twitter page, KeepFlppingAces. I’ll give you some great tournament advice. Lou may have, literally, written the book on poker – but with my two wins, I’m ready to pen a chapter or two.

2 comments:

  1. Karen Smith from HillsboroMarch 1, 2011 at 1:37 PM

    Congratulations, Shari...I'll be following you on this too. I love poker...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big Congratulations!!! You are really one busy lady! :))))))

    ReplyDelete