Looking for missing posts?

TV, Music and Media posts have moved to a new site. Go to http://burnthismedia.blogspot.com/ the new entertainment blog.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Here's to You Casey James

As I go off to literally fight City Hall this evening (over a proposed cell tower in the neighborhood) I won't be able to follow the results show for American Idol. I think that's a good thing, because however it plays out, I know that I haven't seen the end of Casey James. But it would be sad to say goodbye, especially after last night's stellar performance.

We knew he had the talent. But last night he showed a steely determination and wry sense of humor that means you can't keep this boy down. He came right at Kara and her merry band of accomplices with guns a-blazing. Objectify me? Make this year all about you and your boy crush, Kara? Well, here's to you!

Not only did Casey have the cojones to play Mrs. Robinson to Kara, but he also had the -- yes -- artistry to do it in such a touching fashion. Despite the gibe intended, regardless of the message he wanted to convey, what he told anyone within earshot was that he is a gifted singer, a wonderful musician, and someone who'll be around for years and years when all of this silliness has faded into memory.

I love that song and love the original, still I found Casey's version to be breathtaking. It was mesmerizing and moving, the gentleness of his voice, the sweet changes to the melody, made it as much a prayer as a song. He took something familiar and made it revelatory and new again. I'll never hear the song the same way again. It was his moment.

Of course, the judges couldn't let him have his moment. Randy nitpicked, Ellen hedged her praise, Kara wrapped hers in jokes and conceit, and Simon, well I don't know what he was doing other than furthering the stale jokes and trying to find a way to not praise what was such a lovely performance. The whole scene degenerated and a precious moment was lost.

I hope it isn't the end of the AI road for Casey tonight. He has so much more to show and so many more performances to give -- some that will be rollicking fun, and others that will show a more quiet and tender side. He, more than anyone else in the competition, has shown range and variety and a willingness to challenge himself and change our conception of who he is and what he can do. So three cheers for an amazing performance last night, Casey, and here's hoping for still more to come!

16 comments:

  1. Amen again!!! I think you live in my head! Thank you so much for your support of Casey. He is so deserving. Your posts mean so much to me as a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with everything you said! Casey's a true artist, and he will definitely have a long career in music after idol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Filling up just reading that! You have summed up exactly what I felt as I vicariously "watched". This is such a heart felt and, in my opinion honest, it is a joy to read someone so supportive of Casey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Casey is great, hope he wins

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Thank you! This was much needed praise for Casey after reading so much from the "Idol Experts" predicting him to go home tonight. I hope they wrong....but, I agree that Casey has an amazing career ahead of him!

    ReplyDelete
  6. THANK YOU and GOD BLESS YOU for seeing the Real Casey as we all do!!! Like others have said before, you have an amazing ability to put our feelings into the perfect words and I SO enjoy reading your posts! Casey IS so deserving, yet unappreciated by AI and we need more writers like you to help spread the word, thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely a stellar blog. I agree with pretty much everything you wrote and I never do that. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL!!!! You are right on target with what EVERY Casey Fan feels including me!!!! Thank you so much for telling the truth about Casey!!!! He is the BEST singer, musician and overall person in the competition and has been since his audition!!! He is going ALL THE WAY TO THE TOP!!!!!!!! God Bless you!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. CASEY WILL BE THE NEXT AMERICAN IDOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay...I don't know who you are, but you're reading my mind! I love that you see right through the Idol BS that continues to rear its ugly head week after week, and attest to the greatness Casey James-both as a musician and a man! This young guy has put his heart and soul into performances which were not his genre and has been subjected to immature, tasteless responses, and he continues to be a gentleman through and through! I know you mention you're moderate Republican...well, I'm a liberal Democrat, and I do believe we could get this country in shape! Thank you thank you thank you for acknowledging what so many of us have been witnessing...a true star being born!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for reading all our minds! You said what all of us were thinking! I too am glad you see through all the BS that judges and producers have so blantanly done to discredit this absolutely beautiful soul known as Casey James! He will go on to sell so many records, and his career is just beginning! Can't wait to see him in concert!! Thanks again for seeing the Casey that we see!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, yeah I like Casey James. I don't watch American Idol and as I was flipping through the channels one night, I was struck by this gorgeous guy. Yes, I stopped because he was beautiful. I kept watching, however, because the boy is actually talented. I think he is shy, intimidated by the competition at times, but extremely gifted. Also, I don't know who started this blog but my goodness, you seriously have a way with words. Eloquent comes to mind.....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, Casey made Top 3 As you said, "the judges don't pick the Idol, We do." So did voters make it, too.
    Thank you for your dedication fot Casey and we will vote him next week like crazy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Elizabeth CarrollMay 17, 2010 at 9:38 PM

    Casey is the most talented musician to ever grace their stage!!!! They don't deserve to be in the presence of his musical greatness!!!I am from Michigan and I am 100 percent behind Casey!!!!This a true artist and no matter what happens,he will always be my American Idol.Those of you who can power text please do so-He needs us because the judges are trying to sway the votes for Lee. Lee can't even sing on key!!! Come on!! Casey James Rocks!!!!!

    ReplyDelete